Justo Alonso Astúlez was city councillor of Torrelavega´s town hall in the last years of XIX century. He cooperated in the building of La Asunción Church with financial helps.
His mortal remains are buried under the Altar of la Inmaculada, with more mortal remains of others collaborators and donators like Mister Ceferino Calderón and Mister Emilio Revuelta.
Alonso Astúlez Street was created to connect the street of Julián Ceballos with San José Street, and it was known as Travesía de Urbina, which was the name that first appeared in the map of 1886. This map shows that this street had grown until Argumosa, passing through the lands of Francisco Antonio Rodriguez, who was an ancient Major of Torrelavega. It wasn’t that moment when the name was created; the name appeared when Argumosa Street and Joaquín Hoyos Street were joined crossing a plot which was owned by Alonso Astúlez.
The main curiosity about this street was the division of the street in three parts: the first one was from San José Street to Julián Ceballos, the second one was from Julián Ceballos to Argumosa and the last one was from Argumosa to Joaquín Hoyos.
Nowadays, it also goes through Berta Perogordo Street and Félix Apellaniz Street.
The most important thing about the stretch, between San José and Julián Ceballos, is the building of Ruiz y Rebolledo. People should show sadness when we talk about the disappearance of two odd buildings. One of these was the Principal Theatre and the other one was the Chapel of the nuns of SSCC, which was built by the famous architect Leonardo Rucabado. In the part of the street between Argumosa and Joaquín Hoyos there was the fire station and La Casa del Socorro. In the corner of Joaquín Hoyos in the opposite street there was and luckily there is a part of the front of the building whose owner was Argumosa family.
The most exciting thing of the street has always been its location, because it is used as a connector of really important streets, even though its site it hasn’t been very successful in commercial field. The professional look took off as soon as emblematic buildings and old houses were replaced for new buildings of cement.
In Alonso Astúlez Street there also was a school in 1917, it was the School of La Asunción which got brilliant marks in the exams of June of that year.
Para saber más El Templo Parroquial de Nuestra Señora de
la Asunción de Torrelavega,
2ª edición. Cristóbal Mirones, Ed. Quinzaños S.L
click here to return to the menu